[pianotech] definition of rebuilding was Re: Regulating, was curve was glide/ Now Rebuilding

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Mon Oct 18 21:33:33 MDT 2010

I term "rebuilding" as: The entire piano, basically, torn apart, keeping the rim,plate and basic structure in tact and replacing everything! That's it!  Nothing else should be called a "rebuild"!

Paul

The PTG has "official" definitions of rebuilt and reconditioned pianos. Council Book of Resolutions, revised June 2006.

Rebuilt piano is a used piano that has been disassembled, inspected, and repaired as necessary with replacement of all worn or deteriorated parts, re-assembled, tested, and approved to at least the same tolerance as a new piano of like manufacturer.

Reconditioned piano is a used piano that has been put back in good condition by cleaning repairing and adjusting for maximum performance with replacement parts where specifically indicated.

Wim