[pianotech] Interesting find

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Tue Oct 19 12:10:14 MDT 2010

  On 10/19/2010 9:21 AM, David Love wrote:
> I don't think the wedge will kill sustain, though it might make it
> softer. Hold a tuning fork on a rigid steel table and it will continue
> to vibrate for a long time.
It looks like a felt mute, so it probably wouldn't couple the beam and
the soundboard much. The springs might add stiffness, but the board
could still vibrate because of their flexibility. (At least, I imagine
that it could.)

I've been known to resort to measures like this, except I did such stuff
on pianos much worse off that this one. Open cracks, big noises, no
money, that kind of short crummy grand.

Haddorff ... I've liked the ones I've seen. Also I have a sense of
connection because my grandmother, aunts, and cousins lived in Rockford,
IL where Haddorffs were built. In fact, my uncle's grandfather worked in
that factory.

Susan Kline