[pianotech] Interesting find

Ken & Pat Gerler kenneth.gerler at prodigy.net
Wed Oct 20 07:20:42 MDT 2010

Ron,
An employee of this institution for 21 years is either purchasing or has
been given this piano and will be moving the piano from there to his home.
He wanted me to confirm that it was worth the effort of moving it to his
home for his 5 year old daughter. It was quite dirty inside (on the
soundboard) and something was spilled down the base side of the keyframe and
glued the felt to the keyframe. I had to dig down with a screwdriver to free
the keyframe from the piano to remove the assembly.  I had played chromatic
scales up and down the keyboard several times and there were no buzzes and
the piano was fairly well in tune with itself and the last noted tuning was
1950.  The original Ivory keytops are still on the piano but a couple are
missing, several broken in the middle and reglued; several chipped, so it is
getting new keytops and that was the reason for removing the keyframe/action
assembly. Once out there was very little dust or debris in the cavity.  I
also noted the pedal lyre was just "a bit loose" and in crawling under the
piano to remove it I noted the pedal springs between the ribs and the
support braces of the piano and rim.  It did not look like there were any
loose ribs and when playing the chromatic scales, other that harshness of
hard hammers, the sound was "clear".

When I go back with the recovered keytops to finish the work on the piano, I
will experiment with taking the springs out and playing the piano and report
back the results.  That will be in about a month.

Ken Gerler