[pianotech] computer upgrade -somewhat OT

Horace Greeley hgreeley at sonic.net
Thu Oct 21 05:52:58 MDT 2010

Hi, Tom,

Don't waste time with "Home Premium".  Go straight to Pro; _but_ , get at least 4GB of RAM, and plan on upgrading many/most of your apps fairly soon.

Either that, or get some flavor of MAC, and run your existing apps under VMware Fusion (after first installing Win-something...XP Pro, if that's what you had before.

If you have enough Linux experience that your learning curve wouldn't be nearly vertical, that's definitely an option, too.  Otherwise, how much time do you have to invest in learning a new OS?

There are advantages and disadvantages in any of these directions.  Since you seem to be short on time, I suggest staying with Windoze...otherwise might not.  Be aware that the free compatability-mode VM that is offered (sort of) with Win7 is free for a reason.  Again, I suggest using VMware, this time workstation, as a viable alternative to either buying a bunch of new applications or trying to learn new "free" ones.

If you wish, please feel free to contact me off list.  Be aware that I'm pretty buried and may not be able to get back to you right away.

Please also remember that whatever recommendations you may get, your mileage may vary.  There is no cookie-solution that is truly viable.

Good Luck and Good Hunting.

Horace