[pianotech] Ivory polish

Chuck Behm behmpiano at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 16:11:03 MDT 2010

>Schaff sells an ivory polish in bar form (product No. 425).  Has anyone
used
this stuff?  Is there something similar available Home Depot or Lowe's that
will
do the same thing?

Thanks,
Paul Mulik<

Paul - I bought the bar that Schaff sells probably 10 years ago. I use it
frequently when I'm restoring an old ivory set of keys. It works great -
just keep a double cotton wheel dedicated to its use. Don't interchange
polishes, especially black bar polish for sharps. Clean your wheel
occasionally. After a decade or so I still have plenty left to last the rest
of my career, I'm sure. It's a big bar.

The other bar they sell works great when finishing molded keytops, and
polishing out any scratches you've made in the filing process.

One other thought. If you can buy something from a piano supply house,
whichever one you are a customer of, why would you ever think of buying from
Home Depot or Lowe's? If we don't support the supply houses, they might not
always be around. Then where will we be? Try getting a set of damper springs
or bridle straps from Lowe's!

On a similar note, there's a local hardware store in Boone where I live
where I always buy everything that I can that they sell (polyurethane,
contact cement, etc). I know the stuff is available at Walmart for cheaper,
but I like having a hardware store where I can buy any size of screw or
bolt, and where they know my name and don't ask for an I.D.

We need to support the business that are important to us, if we want them to
survive. Chuck Behm