[pianotech] Seiler 53" (135 cm) Upright 1997

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Fri Oct 22 01:32:27 MDT 2010

I tuned a wonderful-sounding but poorly-regulated Seiler today. The
owner and 8-year-old daughter both report the touch is too heavy. When I
tried the piano, it was hard to play pp passages without notes dropping
out here and there and, yes, it felt heavy.

There is a card on one side showing the regulation specs. Notes 1 - 34
have 56g (DW) and 35 - 88 have 54g. I found that most of the keys had
four leads behind the balance rail (half leads, two on each side). The
few keys I checked, with the wippen raised, the lead weights seemed to
be balancing the front weight of each key (see two photos below showing
both sides of C4).

All of the dampers are timed very early (dampers move after a couple of
mm hammer travel).

My question is, what would be the most technicianly way of reducing
touchweight? Anything I need to know about this particular piano?