[pianotech] Key balance rebushing

reggaepass at aol.com reggaepass at aol.com
Fri Oct 22 11:39:12 MDT 2010

List,

I'm now a firm believer in folding over the top & using cauls! (g)

I have not (yet) folded balance rail bushings over the top of the key button.  It has not really been a conscience decision (until now, anyway).  The only reason I could offer is that on so many of the keyboards I have rebushed, the balance rail pin is not much taller than the top of the key button. In these cases, the top of the pin would be buried by the addition of bushing cloth to the top of the key button, making it tricky (and sometimes even impossible) to access the top of the pin for key squaring.  Am I the only one to encounter this problem?  Am I missing something here?

thanks,

Alan Eder