[pianotech] Mounting Baldwin Acrosonic Console on Twin Dollies

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Oct 22 18:01:59 MDT 2010

On 10/22/2010 6:29 PM, J Patrick Draine wrote:
> Well that's why the school should have ordered the dollies from you (or
> any other experienced piano technician), so you can do an appropriate
> installation and adjust for any anomalies.
> Patrick Draine

A lovely theory, one of my favorites! Years ago, after someone managed
to dump a piano on it's back in an almost local high school, liquefying
a student's foot as a result, I put a set of dollies under a P22 for
them. Bolted and lagged in good and solid, I thought maybe we had it
cornered. Nope. Next year, I went back to tune the pianos, and found
that they had unsuccessfully attempted to ramp jump the dollied piano
across a threshold at high speed. When I saw it, they had already had
the maintenance genii weld the casters back on, badly charcoaling the
back of the piano above both sets of joints. "No problem, we fixed it
ourselves".

They're ingenious, and there are a whole lot more of them out there than
there are techs.
Ron N