[pianotech] How come?

Thomas Cole tcole at cruzio.com
Sat Oct 23 23:32:18 MDT 2010

On 10/23/10 3:59 PM, David Love wrote:
> What do you mean by setting the pins "heavily or lightly"

This is like trying to put into English how to tie a shoe. But I might
hazard a theory about my hammer technique.

*Heavily-set pin:* the string is pulled above pitch liberally and worked
back down such that not only the twist is removed from the pin but some
additional twist is added to leave the pin almost wanting to pull the
string back sharp. This twist opposes heavy playing wanting to pull
slack out of the tuning pin segment. If the note rises after some time,
then I would say that the pin was "over set."

*Lightly-set pin:* The string is pulled above pitch moreconservatively
and after settling, the pin is left in a more or less relaxed state, as
if to anticipate only the stresses of diurnal temp/humidity changes.

To use another's terminology which never did quite catch on: it depends
on where you leave the tuning pin in the "marshmallow zone."

Tom Cole