[pianotech] 6th 3rd test

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sun Oct 24 15:52:46 MDT 2010

Brian

Although  the 3rd 6th test is a good one, a better way to tune the bass is to run consecutive 10ths, starting with the first note in the bass, making sure it is beating slightly slower than consecutive thirds in the treble.

Example

First note in the bass is E3. Count the beats in G3 - B3, down to F3 - A3. The E3 - G# 3 should a little slower. Then check the E3 - G#4 10th. Proceed downwards, with the 10ths getting slower and slower. When you've reach E2 - G#3, play E2 - G#4 17th and continue down the scale. You should be able to hear the 17ths beating, even on poorly scaled pianos.

Wim