[pianotech] Erard Grand Action?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 10:32:34 MDT 2010

At 12:48 -0300 26/10/10, John Ross wrote:

>I tuned a early 20th century J Becker, Russian piano. The touch was
>heavy, did not have time to measure.
>I am going back, so I want to be prepared.
>On searching the name, I see that he introduced the Erard repetition
>action to Russia in 1865, so I am assuming there is a good chance
>that it is that type.
>Does someone have the regulation procedure for this action that they
>would supply, I am assuming that it is different.

So far as I remember the action in a Jakob Becker I rebuilt almost 30
years ago was a normal Erard/Herz style action tied directly to the
keys with an very nice brass 'abstrakt' that can be adjusted, similar
to the old Erard abstrakt.  The piano (Tchaikovsky had one) is
beautifully made. The bushings at the front of the key and one the
chases are adjustable with a small screwdriver and there is ivory
part way down the sides of the keys.  If it feels heavy I would guess
it needs re-centring throughout, and perhaps it's time to try
adjusting those amazing key bushings.  I consider the Becker an
exceptionally fine piano.

JD