[pianotech] billing dilemma with pitch raises

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Sat Oct 30 23:04:52 MDT 2010

    Most tunings take me an hour and a half.  And for that
amount of time I charge $X.
    But often, after a pitch raise, which gets the piano pretty
close to being in tune, the final fine tuning only takes an
hour.
    Say the pitch raise took 1/2 hr, and the final tuning an
hour.  That's an hour an a half.  How do I now justify charging
extra for the pitch raise when a "plain vanilla" tuning also
takes an hour and a half and I only charge $X for it?
   Or to look at it another way, if you charge $X per hour and
base your tuning fee on that, then go do a tuning and pitch
raise that only takes 1 1/2 hrs., but you still charge extra for
the pitch raise, then now you're charging more than $X per hour.
    --David Nereson, RPT