[pianotech] Friday puzzler: Won't play on hard blow

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Oct 31 13:50:15 MDT 2010

I'm trying to visualize this. Are you saying that the wippen was not
loose, but was so misaligned with the capstan that it would catch the
edge of the wippen heel on a soft blow, but on a hard blow it would
cheat past and slide up the side of the heel? Was it a combination of
misaligned wippen AND capstan (maybe capstan at a bit of a side angle
and/or key warped - maybe the entire section of the stack is offset a
bit from the keyset and this one key was worse than the rest? I just
haven't seen quite that yet. Can you provide the details of how this
would happen?

Thanks!

Terry Farrell