[pianotech] billing dilemma with pitch raises

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Sun Oct 31 17:03:41 MDT 2010

The idea of a full service appointment is that it allows time to take care
of things that pianos invariably need but may vary from piano to piano.  I
prefer to just have the time built in to be able to fix what needs fixing as
long as it can be accomplished within the time frame of the appointment.
Better that than spending 15 minutes explaining a repair that takes 15
minutes and for which you charge only 15 minutes even though you took 30 to
explain why you need to do it and why it will cost an extra 15 minutes worth
of your time.  Haven't met a piano yet that didn't need something other than
just tuning.    If it's a more time consuming repair then I probably don't
have enough time scheduled to do it anyway and will need to schedule a
follow up appointment.

The problem of rush jobs (as Don M. described) are easily taken care of by
my "rush" charge:-)!   If my normal appointment is an hour and they only
give me 30 minutes then my rush charge is 100%.  Yes, that's a joke.  There
is an overriding minimum on all appointments unless I'm the one who cuts it
short for some reason.

David Love

www.davidlovepianos.com