[pianotech] Optimum way to stretch a new string

Paul T Williams pwilliams4 at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Apr 1 13:51:58 MDT 2011

Yes, Duaine, this is good.

Make sure all 3 of your coils are tight, the becket squeezed in on the
pin, settle all termination points, lift and level all the strings, seat
the new strings on the bridges and even the hitch pins.  The better the
termination points, the better it will settle. make sure the bridge pins
are snug, too....Are you charging enough for this? Perhaps all this might
prompt you to do more work, hence, more pay. I used to not charge enough
in the old days. 99% of folks don't realize what a big deal a string
replacement is.  It is a big deal and you should charge accordingly with
the rates in your area. $10 bucks is not OK, for instance,....just a
thought. I'm not putting any suggested pricing out there at all, but who
would charge $10 for a string replacement.  It takes too long to do that
properly.....

Paul