[pianotech] Breaking bass string

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Mon Apr 11 10:00:20 MDT 2011

It could also be that wire--generally--is tougher than it is given credit
for. The formula commonly used by scaling and/or rescaling programs is one
popularized by Al Sanderson and it is significantly conservative. I'm not
sure what wire specifications he based it on but it gives a % of breaking
strength that is considerably below that of actual test with both Roslau and
Mapes IG wire.

Both of these wires will take a 52 to 56 mm speaking length at C-88 without
causing much trouble. Obviously, 52 to 54 mm is going to be safer and, like
you, I wonder if those extra couple of mm actually translate into any
improvement in tone quality.

When I say there hasn't been a lot of string breakage I speak, not just for
myself, but for the industry generally. I've been involved with enough
companies producing pianos with treble sections like this that I would be
aware of any significant warranty issues with breaking strings. I've also
come in contact with enough technicians of all skill levels around the world
that I think I'd be aware if this were an endemic problem.

The only specific piano I know of that does have a consistent problem with
treble string breakage is the U.S. built Steinway S but with this piano I've
measured speaking lengths at C-88 upwards of 58 mm. And I've heard reports
of speaking lengths well upwards of 60 mm. That's when technicians call me
to ask if they are doing something wrong--they can't tune the things to
pitch. New wire helps for a couple of years but that's about it. Yes,
strings are going to break.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com