[pianotech] Mason A specs

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed Apr 13 10:53:57 MDT 2011

At 12:23 -0400 13/04/2011, Dale Erwin wrote:

>I am hoping someone has a Mason A under the finger tips at this
>moment and can give me these dimensions. I'm checking a pattern &
>could really use this info. asap.  Thanks in advance
>  1.  the distance from the no 1 hammer flange screw hole to the
>center of note 88 screw hole . ie. the overall span
>2.The distance from the center of  no...

Dale, can't you get these measurements from the strike line?

If you stretch a length of twine from the strike point on string 1
(probably 1/8 of the speaking length) to the strike point of note 88,
taping it to the bar where necessary to get a perfect straight line,
and then lay a piece of paper over the strings lined up with the
thread and rub over the strings with a lump of lead, you should be
able to get the exact measurenments you need.  You can use a pair of
dividers to get the distances at the breaks.

JD