[pianotech] Damper Felt

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Apr 22 06:58:52 MDT 2011

At 19:51 -0400 21/04/2011, Ed Foote wrote:

>I have made them work by pulling the smaller side down with a long
>needle inserted lengthwise about 2/3rds of the way up the leg then
>trimming the bottom to make both legs even. But I shouldn't have to.

You wouldn't have to with either the Hamburg Steinway felt or the Yamaha felt.

At 17:23 -0700 21/04/2011, David Love wrote:
>Listening to Jack Brand and others there seems to be no question but
>that making and cutting damper felt is no easy task.   I once
>watched a damper presentation by one of the old timers from the
>Mason Hamlin factory (can't remember his name now).  They cut
>everything themselves from sheets with a hand sharpened knife, even
>those bichord dampers with the dual overhead slots.  Beautiful work
>but time consuming no doubt.

It is possible to do horizontal shaped felt like that -- I've done it
using Steinway hammer rest felt sheets -- but the vertical strips
would be impossible, I'd say.

Besides, I simply don't believe that the Japanese do it by hand.  I
don't know how they do it but I guess it's done on a
computer-controlled table using a circular knife running at very high
speed.

JD