[pianotech] Lock rail puzzle

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Apr 24 21:58:10 MDT 2011

On 4/24/2011 5:40 PM, John Delacour wrote:

> Here is a picture of the lockrail attached to the top front half on my
> 1870 Brinsmead concert grand.

> Any ideas? I think it most unlikely that it is simply glued on.

My first thought agreed with Paul McCloud, as did my second. There's no
lucid reason to mount it with keyed plates, since it needn't reasonably
be easily removable. Instruments of this vintage also tend to have
veneer buried hardware, for what may have seemed like a good reason at
the time, but is a universal pain in the butt now - far far beyond the
reasonably presumed life expectancy of the unit. I'd leave "annoying
enough" alone and work around it.

Ron N