[pianotech] Restringing at Lower Tension

William Ballard yardbird at vermontel.net
Wed Aug 17 07:37:07 MDT 2011

Greetings from a long-time wayfarer.

One of my customers (with nine pianos, most of whom have work by me)
has a 1892 Stwy AI which he would like now to restring with a new
block (plus new action). He has a notion (deserving to be tested) that
if the stringing scale is stepped down a wire size (read: rescale
entirely, at lower tension), that this will send the sound of the
piano further in the direction of the "19th Century". ie., The onset
of the sound will be slightly delayed (IOW, gentler bloom). I've
explained to him that the place to adjust bloom is with the proper
choice and voicing of hammers. He realizes that lower string mass
means lower volume, and although I don't know what size room the piano
will end up in, I'm sure this is part of his thinking.

A few more details to get the collective wisdom off and bubbling:

1.) The original board is fine (no weak regions, downbearing is there
along with front bearing at the bridge). This will be the foundation
for this 19th Century sound. But the rescaling will be stringing
alone; the tenor bridge and all speaking lengths will not be changed.

2.) I'm turning the action into a high Strike/Balance Ratio action
with light hammers on 15.75 knuckle-mounting distance shanks. There
are plenty of choices for light hammers. This will preserve the 19th
Century feel.

His instincts about pianos are usually right on. (It's me who's
getting used to the idea of turning a Stwy A into a square grand.)

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.
wbps at vermontel.net

"I'll play it and tell you what it is later...."
     ...........Miles Davis