[pianotech] Letter to members & PTG Board re: shut-down of old pianotech

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Dec 3 20:38:01 MST 2011

Please excuse my reposting of this earlier email.  I had mangled the
previous effort's subject line to the point where even I didn't have
a clue as to what it was about. ds

Dear PTG Board of Directors, members and non-member list subscribers,
I just received the December 2011 Issue of PTG E-News which, I assume
is distributed only to member-subscribers, thus, those of you who are
not members, or members that don't read all their email may have
forgotten the December 15 termination date for this list.   That, in
and of itself, raises an interesting dilemma. One might reasonably
argue that, in addressing this issue to the Board, it should
rightfully be directed to PTG-L, however, in doing so, we exclude
what is likely a significant portion of the pianotech at ptg.org
community.  Unless I'm mistaken, membership in PTG was never a
requirement for participation in this list community, either as a
lurker or contributor.  To the extent that this is true, it does not
seem easily possible to distinguish what is internal to PTG and what is not.

However, it is not my intent to open up another free-for-all, of
which the archives, in their old or new location, are full.  I have
asked Kathy Maxwell to forward to the Board a suggestion that, given
the range of unresolved issues regarding the HL format, not to
mention other issues that have been percolating, it would seem  good
public relations to allow a continuance on the function of this list,
unless it could be convincingly demonstrated why that would be
impossible, not just inconvenient.  In the interim, an increased
effort in both analysis of software and community response (with real
data) could continue, hopefully with a larger pool of help to assist
the committee.

In the event that such a case (for immediate shut-down) can be made,
I would hope to see a much greater active effort on the part of the
organization to migrate as many of the current subscribers of this
list to the new one.  The home office has, I believe, the tools, if
not the time, to quantify the data regarding numbers of current
active subscribers on each of the lists.  Yes, there is a degree of
responsibility that individuals have in this relationship, but if
there remains a significant number who have not yet done so, it might
indicate a need to revisit the strategy.

Finally, and with all due respect, I would ask President Coleman to
reconsider his valediction in future communications to the
membership..  It may have been an oversight and, certainly, he is
within his rights to use it in his private communication, however,
given the tensions within and certainly outside of the organization
at this point in time, a more neutral alternative might be in order.

Respectfully,
David Skolnik PRT
Hastings on Hudson, NY