[pianotech] Wandering Capstan Screws

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Sun Dec 4 14:20:10 MST 2011

If the problem is all with the felt, and the screws are not moving, then
t would not be necessary, would it, to replace the screws; just remove
he cloth and glue action cloth to the wippen heels/feet (no stickers).
though there may be an issue with the flat heads of the screws as opposed
o the gently domed heads of new capstan screws).
It is certainly possible that in this particular room there is some kind
f  cyclical change in humidity taking place. But the room never feels
amp.

David

In regards to the screw vs the capstan. With the cloth covering the screw, there is no movement between the top of the screw and the bottom of the sticker. If you just put the cloth on the bottom of the sticker, it creates friction between the cloth and the screw. The screw has a slot in it, which, over time, will wear away the cloth. You won't have that with a smooth surface of a capstan screw.

In regards to the humidity change. Is the room in which the piano sits above, or near, a bathroom, kitchen, or laundry room? The added humidity form those rooms can have a huge effect on the piano.

Wim