[pianotech] hitch pin hole

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Mon Dec 5 09:27:57 MST 2011

I wanted to add that I did encounter this on a Steinway a few years back.  I
had already redone the plate and didn't discover the problem until I was
pretty much done stringing.  There was a small sand pocket in front of one
of the treble pins and the pin and, of course, it started to gradually lean
forward.  What I ended up doing was drilling out the sand pocket (it was
fairly small) and epoxying into place another metal pin which was cut to
length so that the top level was just below the surface of the plate.  The
original pin was replaced just behind it in its original hole so that it
butted up against the front filler pin.  I used a high density epoxy filler
and leveled it off over the repair pin.  Sanded it carefully in as small an
area as I could and then touched up the plate.  So far so good and the
repair is not really visible except on very close inspection.

David Love
www.davidlovepianos.com