[pianotech] Wandering Capstan Screws

James Sasso jwsasso at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 07:18:16 MST 2011

David;
Your photos of the action look eerily similar to the situation I
encountered early this year. My situation involved a piano with a
structural defect where the pinblock had separated from the frame and the
result was a warping of the entire plate and pinblock and an uneven gang of
gained and lost motion on the capstans. Room rearrangement and somnambulism
aside, try checking the pinblock to see if there is any separation either
at the top or bottom (or both) from the frame. I had a situation at a
school where the bottom of the pinblock had twisted away from the frame but
it wasn't visible from the top as the pinblock was still secure to the
frame at the (easily visible) top. By the time I got done tuning half the
piano, the starting point was way out again. So try looking in the back
under the pinblock also.
Jim