[pianotech] price for fallboard decal

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 01:10:23 MST 2011

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 3:03 PM, Noah Frere <noahfrere at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just throwing this out there before I call specific companies. Just
> looking for a ballpark figure: how much to put in a new metal Schimmel
> decal on a grand fallboard. The old one is rusty, and it must be done to a
> high standard.
>
> Ballpark figure is fine,

I've no idea, but if it's metal, it's not a decal.  Decals are usually of
two types:  the model airplane type that you soak in water, then slide off
onto the model, and the piano type which is "glued" on with the wet lacquer
or varnish, then the paper backing is soaked off, and more finish is
applied to the decal.
  I've never heard of inlaid brass letters becoming "rusty."  Are you sure
it's not just tarnish?  I would try Brasso applied with a Q-tip, or maybe a
Scotch-brite pad or fine steel wool rubbed on the letters with the end of a
hammer shank.
   But if they're actually rusty and need to be replaced, that's
specialized inlay work.  I would call Schimmel.
--David Nereson, RPT