[pianotech] unusual lyre joint

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Mon Dec 12 14:39:48 MST 2011

I brought home a Kimball lyre to repair:  loose joints, top and bottom.
The lower joints (post to pedal box) were more or less conventional
round tenons, on which the epoxy is currently curing.  The top joint is
one I've never seen in a piano before.  Did I mention the piano is a
former player?  Anyway, the post has a square tenon which fits very
loosely into a 3-sided mortice in the top block, and is secured with a
tapered dowel.  Well, it was at one time.  The tapered dowels had been
replaced with steel machine screws, so the whole thing was really
floppy.  I roughed out a couple of tapered dowels and fitted them in the
holes, and I'm not satisfied with the way the joint fits together.  The
main problem is that with the dowels in place, the top block is held
almost 2mm above the shoulders of the posts.  I'm considering whether to
plug and re-drill the dowel holes in the posts, or build up the block to
meet the shoulders.  I'm also considering drilling out the tapered holes
and using a straight dowel.  Anybody ever seen this joint before?  Any
insights or free advice?

thanks

Mike