[pianotech] unusual lyre joint

Mike Spalding mike.spalding1 at frontier.com
Mon Dec 12 16:35:00 MST 2011

William,

I'm also quite familiar with pegged mortise and tenon joints using an
offset hole to draw the joint together.  But the dowel used in that type
of joint is straight, not tapered.  The leading end might be chamfered
for ease of assembly, but the dowel itself is straight.

The holes in this lyre taper from 9/16 to 5/16, or about 6 degrees.
That's what is so unusual in this joint.  It's as if the intent was to
make it easy to disassemble and reassemble the joint in order to remove
the lyre from the piano while leaving the top block (ok, capital) in place.

Mike