[pianotech] Un-Grand revisited

Delwin D Fandrich del at fandrichpiano.com
Tue Dec 13 11:23:17 MST 2011

If memory serves--and it may not--I think Robertson's square-drive screws
was in use before the Phillips-type screw came along. I seem to recall
reading somewhere that Henry used square-drive screws in his Model T. The
Phillips screw wasn't invented until 1930 something. With the metallurgy of
the day the Phillips-type screw could take more torque.

Square-drive fasteners are great for assembly work as long as the drivers
don't round over. Even though the Phillips configuration took over in the
U.S. there have always been a few holdouts who continued using square-drive
screws. I guess Grand was one of them. Somebody back then told me Grand used
Robertson's screws from the start. At least that was where I first saw
them--I had to track down a driver with a square blade to fix one. In the
1960s in San Bernardino, CA that wasn't easy.

ddf

Delwin D Fandrich
Piano Design & Fabrication
6939 Foothill Court SW, Olympia, Washington 98512 USA
Phone  360.515.0119 — Cell  360.388.6525
del at fandrichpiano.comddfandrich at gmail.com