[pianotech] MP3 on Website

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Fri Dec 16 13:26:06 MST 2011

Horace, thanks for those interesting observations. You are obviously
very experienced with sound files!

I opted for MP3 just because the service that I used to make my website
(yola.com) has a widget for uploading MP3 files, which makes it very easy.

I converted the vinyl LP tracks first of all by playing the LP on my
turntable, and using a Philips CDR 785 Audio CD Recorder. This is an
interesting HiFi separate, that slightly predates the advent of
ubiquitous MP3 and laptops, and iPods.  An unusual feature is that it
has a stereo microphone socket on the front, and it is possible to use a
suitable mic to record live sound straight to Audio CD.

While I do have some software, not yet loaded onto my laptop, for
working with sound files, and could have tried to clean up the crackles
from the old (mono) vinyl LP, simply in the interest of speed, I
uploaded the files just as they are, with the authentic sound of a 50
year old LP!

Best regards,

David.
www.davidboyce.co.uk