[pianotech] Bass bridge repair

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Dec 29 09:18:26 MST 2011

On 12/29/2011 9:20 AM, Richard W. Bushey wrote:
> General question regarding bass bridge repairs...from what I understand,
> you are detuning and removing all the bass strings but leaving full
> tension on the remainder of the strings. I've not ventured into to many
> bridge repairs as of yet and was wondering if that is typically fine to
> do...doesn't strain the plate or anything that could cause major
> problems? Just something I've been afraid to do because I didn't know.
> Thanks!

I've done it dozens of time, and know others who have done it dozens of
times. The question has been asked dozens of times on the list, to
hundreds of people who have done it dozens of times, and no one has ever
reported a problem. When stringing, I put the bass strings on after
pulling the rest of the strings up to pitch and settling them around the
bridge pins, hitch, etc. A lot of other folks do this too.

So yes, it's typically fine to remove bass strings with the rest at pitch.
Ron N