[pianotech] Hammer Technique: was Q & A Roundtable

David Nereson da88ve at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 12:12:15 MST 2011

<< Also, an approach that creeps
up to the target in a series of smaller movements will be more
efficient
than trying to move there in one larger movement.  Overshooting
your target
wastes time.  Having a tuning lever that transmits feel more
efficiently is
extremely helpful.

I have to disagree.  It seems to me that creeping up to the
target in smaller movements wastes time, rather than one quick
movement followed by a smaller refining movement or two.
Besides, in my experience, on old pianos, high tension scales,
or rusty strings, you're more likely to break strings if you
pull up slowly, rather than using a quick slight loosening
(flattening) movement followed by a quick pull up to or slightly
above the target.

At least some overshoot seems necessary to me, to counteract the
upward and sideways bending of the pin. If you just push or pull
up to your target spot, then let go, it will go flat.

I just bought a carbon fiber lever.  Yes,  I notice more
stiffness, not as much flex, but it's an extremely subtle
difference, and barely noticeable.  I'm glad I spent only $200
and not $400.

    --David Nereson, RPT