[pianotech] [Pianotek] the big discussion

rufy at rcn.com rufy at rcn.com
Tue Feb 1 13:26:47 MST 2011

Looks like I missed the Big Discussion, but here are a few related thoughts:

1) I love the feeling of approaching a wildly out-of-tune piano with just a
tuning lever, some mutes, a tuning fork (often optional) and my own little
brain and body-- to come away some little time later having brought order
out of the chaos. Extremely gratifying, in a way that the use of any
electronic aid would only detract from.

2) I love dealing with the tuning process in the arena of sound and careful
physical response to the sound, the give-and-take among ear, hand and piano.
A visual "aid" would bring into it an extraneous (if not distracting)
modality, that of sight.

3) . . . not to mention the plain hassle of introducing another piece of
hardware into this little party.

4) Accuracy, schmaccuracy-- is it important to be more "accurate" than the
human ears that will be listening to the MUSIC ??  I place at least as much
emphasis on effecting a tuning that is STABLE.

5) Of course, being a proud artisan, I believe I DO produce a tuning of
accuracy and musicality, tailored to the instrument at hand. Am I mistaken?
Who knows, but people, even very musical ones, seem to like my tunings.

6) Speaking of people: my customers tend to be very impressed that I tune
aurally. People around here-- though certainly tech savvy-- seem to be less
than awed by electronic doodads when applied to their pianos-- which stand
unapologetically as fond testament to the highest achievements of the
Machine Age.

7) Aural tuning says: Artistry. Electronic tuning aid says: Nerd.

8) So there.

Joseph G., RPT
Conway, MA