[pianotech] Hammer Technique: was Q & A Roundtable

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Feb 2 08:47:44 MST 2011

On 2/2/2011 9:22 AM, David Love wrote:
> I suppose I could have worded it more precisely but it's not at all nonsense
> and it's easy to demonstrate if you're open to it.

David,
I've been doing this very thing for over 30 years. Yes, I can pull a
string up without over pull, but I still have to bump it up over pitch
and back down to see where it ended up. I've said that repeatedly, and
it's still the case. Yes, that works, and there's nothing magic about it
except as a means of getting closer to controlling the tuning of a 1098,
or some other impossible object. That's one thing.

Do you understand? I get it, and I do this, and have for many years. Get it?

The basic physics dictate that it's not possible to increase tension in
the speaking length without increasing tension in the first string
segment, so the argument about less string breakage in the initial
speaking length movement is total nonsense, however you hold your tongue
when you turn/flex the pin. The system friction dictates that the first
string segment will always get bigger tension changes than the speaking
length because of the bearing point friction. That's inescapable, and
another thing altogether, unrelated to the first thing.

Understand?
Ron N