[pianotech] Thanks and further comments

tnrwim at aol.com tnrwim at aol.com
Wed Feb 2 19:47:43 MST 2011

Speaking of positive comments, would you be so kind as to answer three questions.

One, why are you so against learning to tune aurally?

Second, when you sing barbershop, do you use an ETD to stay in tune, or do you use your ears?

Third, you tune unisons by ear, and you check octaves by ear at the end of a tuning. Doesn't that bother you? After all, you have to listen to the beats. How awful that must be for you.

Speaking of tuning octaves, maybe I'm not as good as you, but often times when I check a note by playing it with one an octave lower, it sounds OK. But when I check that same note with a note two octaves down, and especially two octaves and a third down, I can hear that the note is not in tune. Why do you suppose that is? (Oh I'm sorry that makes 4 questions).

Wim