[pianotech] Re universal strings?

Mr. Mac's tune-repair at allegiance.tv
Sat Feb 5 00:18:09 MST 2011

Joe,

Well, I am gratified that you are not a naysayer.

I still don't see how you can approximate measuring
   round core against hexagonal core (flat side vs edges).
I use a digital caliper for measuring outer diameter
   of all music wire and bass strings.

Recent example this January:
I replaced both strings on a bi-chord (A2, .074, Wurlitzer Grand) last month
   with Universal strings. Measured only the outer. Turned out excellent.
Unless one looked closely, one could never tell by appearance,
   nor could one tell by sound. Blended in great.

I do agree that there are times when not all replacements
   with Universal strings match up to desired results.
   That's just part of the biz.

If you're willing to share, I would be interested
   in viewing this chart and formula you have
   for educational purposes at the minimum.

Sincerely,

Keith