[pianotech] Bridge pin locations help (image oops)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Feb 5 13:01:49 MST 2011

On 2/5/2011 1:47 PM, Mr. Mac's wrote:

> On Feb 5, 2011, at 1:40 PM, Roger at Integra.net wrote:
>
>> I'm wondering if applying the CA glue while the string is lifted
>> away from the bridge would improve the results. Might the glue have
>> a greater ability to completely surround the pin if there is no
>> side pressure on the pin?
>
> Roger,
>
> Ron indicated in another post to leave as is when applying the CA
> thin. No need to do what you say. I take him at his word.
>
> Thank you though for your consideration.
>
> Keith

Roger, Keith,
That's the neat thing about the CA. It soaks into pretty much any gap
even if there's no real gap. You can leave the string on. The important
thing is, since you're trying to replicate the effect of putting the
screwdriver on the pin to stop the flagpoling (therefor the false beat),
you need as much hard cured CA in the hole as it will take. This takes
some time and repeated applications until the CA quits soaking in and
hardens while it's still visible around the pin. If some gets under the
string in the process, it doesn't seem to hurt a thing.

Again, the basic problem isn't string seating. It's flagpoling bridge
pins, so the fix needs to address the cause.

Ron N