[pianotech] e-mail misinterpitation

Marshall Gisondi pianotune05 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 6 19:22:51 MST 2011

Hi Patrick,
Thank you for the post.  E-mail is one of those necessary evils in our day and age.  It's a great thing, but can have a sting to it if not read carefully. Bees are great and honey is sweet ,but try getting stung by a bee.  For example someone from the list sent me a private e-mail yesterday because they misunderstood what I sent to the list, and I'll probably hear from them again I'm sure, maybe I won't. :-)  I do appreciate their input.

Little tings like  :-)  and <G>  or SNIP whatever that is might help but they still cannot emphasize tone influxion, volume a persons actual feelings toward the situation whether indifferent, casual, etc.  For example, someone might say, "Marshall I enjoyed the sauce and pasta you made."  my response could be "Oh thank you." and I could have several different tone influxions.  the person giving the compliment could have said it in such a way as to be really impressed or in a more casual way polite way just to be kind even though they thought is was OK.  I mean look at all the trudging we had to do through the EDT waters this past week. No offense everone, but that as a lot of wading, good information yes indeed.

Now I wonder how my e-mail will be received.  It's a tough thing to accomplish because between our intent how we want our message to be percieved and the receivers interpretation, there may be a huge divide.  Perhaps you guys may have an opinion about me based upon what I've written on here, and I try to write my e-mails as clearly as possible to bring forth the right intent.  The true impression however would arrive when we woudl meet in person because the communication would also have the influxion.

So in reality, the best thing I think to do with e-mail is to consider these things in order to present the most positive message:
Choose the right words and language. We don't need swear words on here. just shows ignorance on a persons part in my opinion or stupidity.  Our languange offers better alternatives.
Explain as best as one can,
and accept the fact that e-mail is a communication that is flawed.  Would it hurt to ask someone, "...so I'm hearing you say that ETDS are..." rather than taking a pedal reach and verbally beating someone to death with it.  "are you saying I mentioned this piano technicians name for ill intent?" wait fo rthe answer. if it's wrong say "No my intent was.."  which I know this person did explain by the way.

well that's my rant. may the best team win tonight!
Marshall

Marshall Gisondi Piano Technician
Marshall's Piano Service
pianotune05 at hotmail.com