[pianotech] advertising

Malinda Dobrins dobrins at optonline.net
Tue Feb 8 20:03:30 MST 2011

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ryan Sowers
  To: pianotech at ptg.org
  Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 11:44 PM
  Subject: Re: [pianotech] advertising

  Keith, my good man,

  In regards to : " … I find my vacuum cleaner a much more useful tool than an ETD. :)"

  This is not a divisive comment. It is the plain and simple truth! <G> (is that better than the smiley?) The subject of this thread had to do with advertising. Ms. Jones doesn't care much about the aural-vs-ETD debate, but she sure loves seeing me clean away all that dust and debris inside her piano.

  The ETD won't bring me referrals. The vacuum very well might. 'nuf said.

    Oddly enough, this brought to my attention a saying in a short story
      I recently read entitled, Death Sentence by Isaac Azimov.
    "You can always dismiss an uncomfortable fact by pinning a dowdy label to it."

  Yes, this is odd.  But what is the "uncomfortable fact" that I have "pinned a dowdy label to"??

    It seems that nothing has changed when it comes to differences
      amongst ourselves. Pointing fingers, taking sides, having opinions, etc.

  I'm confused. (not an uncommon state) Who did I point a finger at? People do generally take sides on an issue. Is that a bad thing? I would be scared stiff if all the sudden everyone started agreeing with everyone else! (Sounds like an Asimov short story!) <G> As for having opinions, who doesn't?

    I can still hope there is the possibility of centering on what one knows,
      leaving it at that, and not attempt to determine what the other doesn't.

  Are you sure you've got the right guy? I don't remember trying "to determine what the other doesn't" know. I was really just extolling on the virtues of my Fastvac 500. It really is quite awesome. (In a sucky kind of way!)

  Still smiling,

  Ryan Sowers, RPT
  Puget Sound Chapter
  Olympia, WA
  www.pianova.net

  On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Mr. Mac's <tune-repair at allegiance.tv> wrote:

    On Jan 26, 2011, at 10:37 AM, Ryan Sowers wrote:

    > … I find my vacuum cleaner a much more useful tool than an ETD. :)

    Ryan, List,

    I fail to understand this type of divisive comment,
      along with so many others that have taken place recently
      on the Pianotech List as pretending to be constructive.

    Even a smiley face doesn't disguise the reality of the smear.

    Oddly enough, this brought to my attention a saying in a short story
      I recently read entitled, Death Sentence by Isaac Azimov.
    "You can always dismiss an uncomfortable fact by pinning a dowdy label to it."

    It seems that nothing has changed when it comes to differences
      amongst ourselves. Pointing fingers, taking sides, having opinions, etc.

    I wish it weren't this way, but wishing is apparently an outdated fancy.

    I can still hope there is the possibility of centering on what one knows,
      leaving it at that, and not attempt to determine what the other doesn't.

    The truth of each matter goes far deeper than what appears in print,
      even this email I am sending.

    Sincerely,

    Keith McGavern, RPT

  --