[pianotech] Octaves & Unions

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 9 22:08:04 MST 2011

kept drumming into my head - don't
change anything unless you really have
to...

> I have also tried to make a point
> about critical work, that is, that one
> should regularly practice at such
> work, and I suggest an attitude of
> "every tuning a concert tuning."
That's true for the initial tuning - but
it doesn't hold where the greater value
is continuity of pitch as much as
possible, and avoiding sudden changes in
the sound of the piano in mid piece or
mid-movement if it can be helped...

> When you have a great deal of everyday
> practice of fine tuning under your
> belt, the transition to
> concert/recording studio work can be a
> piece of cake.
Sure, if one understands what it is that
is expected. In the recording session
touchup the expectations are quite
different than in concert tunings...

> I still believe one of the best ways
> to approach a new or critical
> situation is to plug in the procedures
> with which I am already familiar.
I very much suspect that the reason they
kept telling me about minimizing the
changes that I make in mid session is
precisely because some tuner new to the
demands of recording followed their own
familiar procedures - and after splicing
various takes together, the piece came
out sounding like it was played on two
different pianos, because of the sum
total of improvements that the tuner
following their accustomed procedures
felt compelled to make touching up the
piano. They really did drum it into my
head - both in Boston and in California...
> If you are up to it, you might re-read
> my posts, to catch some points you
> obviously missed.
Ditto...

And - by the way - I read them numerous
times. I still don't see what I could
gain from using an ETD for the sort of
tuning for which - as far as I know - no
algorithm have been devised (or could
be, for that matter). But I can see
where it would be a distraction.
> Meanwhile, my ETDs go with me wherever
> I tune, no apologies, and tuned pianos
> seem to result.
Same here - but there are times when I
leave it in the case. And tuned pianos
seem to result. And furthermore, I seem
to be able to hang on to clients who
have reputations for changing tuners
like socks. It could have something to
do with me humoring them and even taking
their preferences into consideration in
terms of techniques that I use or don't
use - even if they might have no basis
in any reality that I know of... Like
being flexible when it comes to ETD use...

It seems that each of us feels that the
other doesn't get what is being written.
I suppose, then, if we are going to keep
talking past each other, perhaps we
should take this private...

And yes, Kent, I did learn some things
that I didn't know before - and for this
I thank you.

Best wishes,

Israel