[pianotech] String Replacement Emergency Question (well, kinda)

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 12:16:23 MST 2011

Regarding the upper plate pin, I have done that only once, and it was
several years ago. As far as I know, they are basically nails driven into a
hole. A nail is what I used to replace. (It was on an Aeolian-made Mason &
Hamlin.) So bring several nails of various diameters, along with a drill and
small bits. If my recollection is correct, I was able to drill it out with
no real difficulty. You can cut off the end of the nail and round off and
smooth it with a Dremel ... or a file.

YPMV (Your Piano May Vary)

FWIW, I generally unwrap some copper winding on a splice, unless the break
is right at the tuning pin *and* there's enough length that you won't run
into the problem you mention. Experience is a great teacher, and I'm sure
you'll remember the next time(s). :-)

And I rarely worry about how the spliced string will sound. I figure the
added mass of the splice more-or-less equals the subtracted mass of the
winding.

--
JF