[pianotech] String Replacement Emergency Question (well, kinda)

Terry Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Feb 11 13:03:19 MST 2011

Thanks for the input from everyone on this. Just got back from
installing the string. The pin was bent a little bit past
perpendicular to the plate. I bent it back with a pair of pliers while
noting whether it maintained good resistance to my bending it back. It
seems real firm, like the steel hadn't fractured the way it does right
before breaking. So I decided to give the original pin a whirl.
Installed the re-spliced string. This was a monocord, so I didn't have
to be concerned about matching its mate. It sounded no worse than the
semi-tubby strings in its general vicinity. UTP pin appeared to hold
just fine - no additional bending noted.

Job complete and successful. Four hours and I'm $35 richer. What could
be better than that?

I think I'll take my wife out to dinner to celebrate!

Terry Farrell