[pianotech] Amplification Definition. Was: ( CA pinblock with tight bushings?)

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Feb 17 21:07:27 MST 2011

On 2/17/2011 8:24 PM, Mark Schecter wrote:
> I would imagine so, as it is not driving a load that would impose
> frictional losses, given equivalent termination, but I don't know how
> the absence of feedback from the board/bridge into the string would
> affect it.
>
> -- Mark Schecter

Stand on the damper pedal and strike a note. The energy available in
that one unison moves the entire soundboard, which moves ALL the
strings, in a feedback loop which subdivides the original energy input,
going from "narrow and deep", to "broad and shallow". The same happens
with the dampers down, but it's not as obvious.

> On Feb 17, 2011, at 5:14 PM, Kurt Baxter<fortefile at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> a freely open vibrating string (no soundboard) would have much
>> longer sustain, right?

Yes.
Ron N