[pianotech] OT: Re: The 5 Browns dad is convicted of sexual assault

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Feb 18 07:47:04 MST 2011

Tom -
Hopefully, for the integrity of this list, any discussion of this
will be labeled OT, which is not to say it is trivial.  Rather, that
the structures we have adopted for this list are there for a reason
I'm glad that you, or someone like you, who has had direct contact
with them, was the first to post this item, which I came across early
this morning.  For anyone else, such as myself, to initiate it would
have been pandering to sensationalism.  The irony, in a way, is that
the discordance, between perception and reality, that you have
experienced personally, is lost by the time the event percolates to
the level of mass consumption, especially in the current cultural and
political (not to mention meteorological) climate.  What adjectives
can one bring to bear, with any precision?
Tragic?  Why?  That people, or a family is not what they
seem?  Compared to any recent day's events, I'd say not.  The
children appear adjusted, as much as any of us.  Their artistic souls
seem relatively intact.  They have each other.
Bizarre?  By whose standards?  The country (some part of it) is in
its 5th and, thankfully, final season of "Big Love".  Unseemly? To be
sure.  Bizarre?  Not.
Two things do strike me about this:

First, the entire coverage of this, including the role of the
children, seems remarkably well choreographed.  Nothing like,
say,  Lindsay Lohan, or Tiger Woods.  By golly, they've all already
started healing, and without missing a concert.  They claim they've
come forward   "out of concern for the welfare and protection of
other young women and girls."    Exactly how is a sanitized
production like this supposed to accomplish that?  I don't know either.

Second, and more to the context of this list, is the question of the
inter-relationship between the artist, the music and the
audience.  How does the artists own experience and inner life affect
his / her ability to effectively interpret and communicate a
composers work?  And to what extent is the audience's awareness of
the personal life of the artist relevant?  Does it unavoidably color
our (audience) perception?  Example:  A) artist is unknown; B) artist
has been victim of some crime or tragedy; C) artist is perpetrator of
or complicit in some crime or tragedy.

Too many important things going on in the world to go 'Star Magazine'
on this.  Our biggest concern, in relation to the Browns should still
be how to get those pianos in tune.

For you, Tom, it remains personal, and worthy of wrestling with, for
all the reasons you said.  Thanks for posting it.

David Skolnik
Hastings on Hudson, NY