[pianotech] Breaking Kawai treble strings

David M. Porritt dmporritt at gmail.com
Thu Feb 24 07:22:28 MST 2011

Don Mannino wrote:

---- snip ----

But then, some pianists just have a talent for breaking strings, and those
who become teachers tend to teach their students to break strings as well.

I worked for many years with a pianist who did break strings frequently and
his students did also.  He said: "Your piano means nothing if your forte
isn't forte".  Playing that way gives a wider dynamic and color range and he
has had an international career for many decades.

He never expressed it exactly this way, but I got the idea that it was his
job to get good concert reviews and my job to repair the damage.  We got
along very well for 2 decades.

dave