[pianotech] History of pitch 442

J. Stanley Ryberg jstan40 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Feb 26 15:29:08 MST 2011

Hi list,
I heard from a audio recording engineer that the  pitch of 442hz was adopted due to the use of
12 tone atonal music? Any truth in this?
Thanks!
Lim

Having taught music theory for 30 years, I'd think that I would have run across this one!  I haven't...but I'm glad I did, since it gave me a good chuckle.  Thanks, Lim!  (I think some folks might think earplugs more appropriate for 12-tone or for atonal music, since they are separate categories...not that I'm suggesting that, myself, you understand!)  It's amazing how many possible tales there are out there, isn't it?

Stan Ryberg
Barrington IL
jstan40 at sbcglobal.net