[pianotech] Piano rusting at the beach

Mr. Mac's tune-repair at allegiance.tv
Mon Feb 28 14:48:57 MST 2011

On Feb 28, 2011, at 2:22 PM, Rob McCall wrote:

> … My question is...  What is the best way (chemical, steel wool, treatments, etc.)
> to remove the rust from all the pins, etc.? Once cleaned of all visible corrosion,
> will it have a propensity to rust again, faster than would normally be expected?
> Is there anything hidden that I should be looking for?

Rob,

My question is…
Why do anything?

You indicated everything else is in good condition
   other than the appearance of anything made of metal.

Leave well enough alone.

There are some pianos that sound great with the visual
   discrepancies you mention.

Keith

Keith McGavern, RPT
http://www.ptg.org/chapters/oklahoma/