[pianotech] Spinets making music

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Thu Jan 6 11:11:38 MST 2011

On 1/6/2011 8:43 AM, Ron Nossaman wrote:
> This is why working on the low end stuff is such a curse. You can't do
> it right and not starve to death, and you can't patch and fake it
> without feeling like you're stealing from them and misrepresenting
> what you did. Victimless repairs become less and less possible in the
> lower quality instruments.
Where there's a will there's a way. I find that people appreciate
hearing what is and is not a reasonable attempt to make on one of these
instruments, including (once in awhile) that they can buy something much
better instead of trying to improve what they've got, so it's time to
move on. I've had customers now and then who did move on, and found a
much better big old upright within a day or two, after hearing that the
one they had managed to saddle themselveswith(and which several tuners
had failed to tune adequately) would never be tunable to anyone's
satisfaction.

As for some of the sadder spinets, one can give some of these old crocks
what one might call hospice care: just make it comfortable.

I'm glad Ron Koval shared that very musical clip. And imagine what old
Betsy could have done with a tuning and a little damper regulation.
(Neither of which would steal the bread out of our mouths.) This
recording seems a perfect illustration of the idea that even a spinet is
far more piano than no piano at all.

Susan Kline