[pianotech] Price the market will bear

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Wed Jan 19 18:17:31 MST 2011

I was reflecting on a discussion we had here a couple of years ago about
pricing, and what the market will bear.

My Mother died on 24th December, aged 84 after a short illness with
cancer.  I got the itemised invoice from the Funeral Directors, a
reputable national chain. They provided an efficent and helpful
service.  The largest item on the Itemised invoice was for "Provision of
all professional services including appropriate advice, support and
guidance". This item did NOT include the actual arrangements - funeral
car, hearse, casket, personnel, cremation fees etc. It only included the
consulation and advice. This single item cost the sterling equivalent of
$1,383.

Now, we might very well advise a customer about their piano, and we may
employ considerable experience as a basis for our professional judgement
and recommendation. We may spend some time talking over options with the
customer, and we may make phone calls for them to check various
matters.  For giving such advice, could we charge $1,383?

The market for funerals will bear high prices, as people are under
pressure emotionally and they have to proceed fairly quickly, and the
body of the deceased HAS to be dealt with.

Similarly, if the soil pipe is blocked and sewage is flooding your
driveway, you HAVE to get it fixed, even if the plumber is very expensive.

But piano problems?  Getting them fixed isn't really a necessity.

So I doubt I will be charging $1,383 for professional piano advice any
time soon.

Best regards,

David Boyce.