[pianotech] To unplug or not to unplug

Tom Rhea, Jr. rheapiano at cox.net
Sun Jan 23 21:54:48 MST 2011

Hi Barbara,

I sing with the Virginia Symphony Chorus and we've got a similar situation
where we rehearse.  Our Baldwin grand is in the lunchroom/assembly room of a
Christian school and is only uncovered for rehearsal once or twice a week.
During non-rehearsal time it is moved to the side of the room and plugged
in, but during rehearsal it is unplugged and does very well.  The amount if
time that it is unplugged is really inconsequential to its stability.  As a
certified DC installer, I have no problem with it being unplugged for the 3
hours of rehearsal time each week.  I suspect that your Yamaha, if the
parish hall is relatively stable (no large temperature or humidity swings),
would do well being unplugged for the relatively short time of rehearsal.
The small benefit of being continuously plugged in isn't worth the added
safety hazard to chorus members.

Regards,

Tom

Rhea Piano Service

Tom Rhea, Jr., Technician

(757) 373-0284

rheapiano at cox.net

Graduate, Randy Potter School of Piano Technology

Certified Installer, Dampp-Chaser Piano Lifesaver Humidity Control Systems

  _____