[pianotech] advertising

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Wed Jan 26 02:33:31 MST 2011

On 1/25/2011 9:14 PM, Duaine Hechler wrote:
> Next to start to tune in each direction. so as you are tuning upwards
> - everything is moving, flexing, etc. Then you start tuning downwards
> - everything is moving, flexing, etc.
>
> Which in turn makes everything you have just tuned start moving,
> flexing, etc.

There's something about this which I don't understand. If the piano is
reasonably close, the moving, flexing thing is minimal. And if it's a
pitch raise, one pulls it a bit wide quickly, then goes back over it.
The ETD sets it arbitrarily higher by a formula, and with luck it ends
up pretty close the first pass, and can be refined the second. And
overpulling aurally, with luck and a bit of skill one ends up pretty
close the first pass, and refines during the second.

But, what makes you think that tuning with an ETD keeps things from
moving, flexing, etc.? It's a matter of hammer technique and the
physical condition of the piano.

Susan Kline